Sunday, July 22, 2012

I'll Take Mine Baked, Barbecued and Buffaloed

I have been on a real tofu kick lately.  I've been grilling it and baking it all kinds of different ways.  I've been having it for dinner with sides and stuffing it in sandwiches for lunch.  I just can't seem to get enough of it.  :)

Every time I go to St.Louis or Indy I stop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods if time allows.  I like to get several things I can't get locally.  Luckily, I've gotten smarter and have learned to take a cooler.  I've also gotten better at packing things into it.  :)  All of that to say that one of my favorite sandwich stuffings lately has been tofu that has been marinated in Trader Joe's Island Soyaki and then baked.


The Island Soyaki is basically a teriyaki sauce made with things like pineapple juice and sesame seeds.  It's really yummy.  If you live near a Trader Joe's or have access to getting this I highly recommend it.


Another recent favorite has been BBQ tofu.  I bake it following the directions for Baked BBQ Tofu in Veganomicon but I've been using the Rough Rider Barbecue Sauce in Vegan Diner (I love that cookbook).  Here it's served over quinoa with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and edamame topped with the PPK Cashew Queso.  I love, love, love that queso anywhere and everywhere I put it, but especially over vegetables.


Here's the BBQ tofu and Cashew Queso again in a wrap for lunch.  I also added kale, red pepper strips, and a little Chipotle Vegenaise for good measure.  :)


And here is a Buffalo tofu sandwich.  I put it on a Rudi's whole wheat hot dog bun with regular Vegenaise on one side and chipotle on the other.  I put red pepper strips and kale on this sandwich too, along with extra buffalo sauce.  I used Meet the Shannons Baked Buffalo Tofu recipe for this one.

I love how versatile tofu is!



No comments:

Post a Comment