Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I Love Chloe's Kitchen

I have made several recipes out of Chloe's Kitchen recently and have been thoroughly impressed.  Her instructions are clear enough for a beginner to follow, and the results are tasty enough for even the most avid omnivore.

The pasta dishes have been super easy, which makes them great for weeknight meals, and are totally delicious.


First up is the Penne alla Vodka with the Best Garlic Bread in the World.  This was amazing and came together in no time.  The sauce is so creamy and the garlic bread is indeed one of the best I've had.  I will repeat this again and again.  Non vegan  hubby loved this dinner.


Next up was the Avocado Pesto Pasta.  This recipe is also available on her blog here.  I found some frozen ravioli hiding in my freezer, so I used it instead of linguine.  Again this came together in a flash.  I didn't have pine nuts so I used almonds, which worked just fine and is cheaper.  I love how creamy the avocado makes this sauce.  This was great on the ravioli and I can't wait to try it on a more traditional pasta.  I think this would also make a nice appetizer spread on baguette.


On a night when I felt like grilling, I made the Tropical Island Kebabs with Cilantro Rice.  I had made her seitan recipe prior to this, it's just a basic simmered seitan.  A sweet and sour sauce recipe in the book is a glaze for the kebabs.  The sauce is really easy and is perfect on the kebabs, although I think it could have many other uses.  The cilantro rice is a nice accompaniment to the kebabs, with slivered almonds and cilantro in it.  Sometimes I forget how easy it can be to dress up plain rice, and it really does add that extra touch of flavor.  When I make kebabs, I always think they are so pretty and look so fancy even though they're really not much work.


For a breakfast treat I made the Baked Sprinkle Doughnuts.  I sprinkled them with peanuts just because.  They were yummy and easy to make.

Things I've made but don't have pictures of:

Easy Peasy Pasta Salad:  I liked this okay, but it probably wouldn't be my first pasta salad choice.  It was light though which is nice for this time of year.

Country Meatloaf and Golden Gravy:  We really liked this, it tasted like Thanksgiving to me.    My non vegan husband, who thought he might grab something out when I was making this, after tasting it, decided to stay home and eat.  I definitely consider this a success since it was competing against a BBQ meat sandwich.

Double Double Drive-Thru Burgers:  These were yummy.  They are a play on a popular fast food burger that starts with big and ends with mac.  I ate them as singles.   I'm not a double burger kinda gal.  :)  The sauce for these really does take them over the top and I could see using it on other sandwiches.

Baked Macaroni and Cheese:  This was good.  I like that it doesn't require any processed vegan cheese, although I have to admit, my favorite baked mac and cheese recipe is loaded with Daiya.  Chloe's stove top Mac 'N' Cheese recipe is very similar to her baked one, and is my favorite recipe to use when I am making a non baked version.

Ice Creams:  Her ice cream recipes are divine.  They are super creamy and dreamy.  She has a couple of ice cream recipes posted on her blog.  I've used her base to make a few of my own flavor combinations quite successfully as well.

There are still so many recipes I want to make out of Chloe's Kitchen.  All in all, you can't go wrong with this cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment