Saturday, June 2, 2012

Not Quite Chili Cheese Fries (or Leftover Memorial Day Food Nachos)

 

Welcome to the official revamp of my blog.  Unfortunately, my pictures still leave something to be desired  :) but I think I'm going to like the layout a little better.

So right or wrong, I decided to start my revamp with a take on vegan junk food.  My son (who is not vegan) was talking with me a couple of days ago about wanting a chili cheese dog and fries.  Unfortunately (fortunately) that sparked a craving in me that I couldn't ignore.  I really like Amy's chili for a quick fix when I don't have the time to make chili from scratch, however I didn't have any in my pantry that day and I didn't feel like making homemade.  Then I remembered I still had some leftover baked beans from Memorial Day in the refrigerator.  An idea started to form.  I didn't have any french fries in the freezer, again I wasn't going to make them from scratch, then I remembered I still had some potato chips leftover from Memorial Day.  I had a few Field Roast hot dogs leftover from Memorial Day (I'm sure you see the theme) that I sliced up and sauteed in a little olive oil.  Things were starting to come together nicely.  :)  All that was left was the cheese, in this case it was the wonderful, amazing Cashew Queso from the PPK  I didn't have red pepper when I made mine so I used yellow pepper, delicious just slightly lighter in color then normal.  No hot dog buns left, no problem.  I layered it all together and voila!

These were amazing and totally hit the spot.  Another name for them could have been Beenie Weenies with Chips and Cheese, because that is what they tasted like.  Whatever they're called I would definitely eat these again.  I love when necessity (or laziness) is the mother of invention.  Now if only there had been a leftover piece of Julie Hasson's Banana Pudding Pie.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment