Monday, June 4, 2012

My Current Favorite Tofu Scramble



I love tofu scrambles.  When I first became vegan I remember thinking thanks, but no thanks.  I am so glad I changed my mind and gave them a try because scrambles have made my breakfasts (and sometimes lunches and dinners) so much more enjoyable.

I've noticed that often when I find a combination of ingredients I really like together, I will eat it a lot for awhile, before moving back on to other variations.  This particular scramble is my current favorite.  It's really easy and everything is sort of loosely determined by what I have on hand, but the constant ingredients are as follows:

For 1 large serving or 2 small servings

1/4 lb of firm or extra firm tofu, rinsed and patted dry
soyrizo (I don't use much, I probably cut a 2-3 inch piece off and use what's inside, do it to taste)
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t cumin
a handful of daiya pepper jack shreds
optional:  red or green pepper, zucchini, corn, sweet onion or green onion, spinach, avocado, cilantro,etc..

I usually always do the peppers and onions if I have them, and then add at least one or two other ingredients.  In the above picture it was green pepper, onion, corn and cilantro.  I put the tiniest amount of oil in a skillet along with the soyrizo, pepper, and onion and saute it for a couple of minutes before adding the crumbled tofu and spices.  Depending on what else I'm adding I may put it in now too (ex: corn or zucchini).  I saute it for probably a good five minutes or so until the tofu starts to brown a little, then I throw in the daiya until it gets nice and melty, which doesn't take very long.  I would add the spinach at this point too if I was using and let it wilt.

Put the scramble on a plate and top with cilantro and/or avocado if using and serve with a nice piece of whole grain toast and some fresh fruit on the side.  You can also make an awesome breakfast burrito if you're on the move and need to take it with you, or just because.  :)  This makes for a nice filling breakfast and a great start to the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment