Monday, June 25, 2012

Food Network Monthly Cookalong: My Grilled Cheese Truck

In my last post, I veganized a recipe from an existing food truck, The Grilled Cheese Truck.  This time I made a sandwich I would serve on "My Grilled Cheese Truck" if I had one.

When a food is spicy, sweet, and savory all at the same time, I just can't seem to get enough of it.  This sandwich definitely meets all of those requirements.


This grilled cheese was inspired by the first vegan grilled cheese to win an award in a very non vegan grilled cheese competition.  I love that the winner used fruit in the sandwich, along with vegan cream cheese and Daiya, but I decided to kick it up a notch by adding the spicy and savory components.  I also simplified the fruit process by using a wonderful jam I got at my local farmer's market.

I know in an earlier post I mentioned reason #20 (at least) to love Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson, the Greek Scramble.  Reason #1 to love Vegan Diner,  the amazingly delicious Smoky Curls.


These are seriously one of the best things I've ever put into my mouth (and that's saying a lot).  :)  If you miss the flavor of bacon at all, these are perfect.  My non vegan son will literally snack on 1/3 of these, if he's around when I make them, before I even have a chance to use them in anything.  They are that addictive!

For the sandwich, here's what you need:

Whole wheat bread (or bread of your choice)
Earth Balance
Vegan Cream Cheese (I like Galaxy brand)
Daiya cheddar or mozzarella style shreds (or other vegan cheese of your choice)
Smoky Curls (you could use Fakin Bacon or Smart Bacon here, but these are so good)
Blackberry Jalapeno Jam (I am lucky and found this at the farmer's market, otherwise I would use a hot pepper jelly, or maybe mix hot pepper jelly and blackberry or strawberry jam together.  Another alternative might be to add a little jalapeno to your jam, or maybe mix in some red chili flakes, just something to get the spicy, sweet combination)
Powdered sugar for the top (optional, but good)

Get your griddle or your pan started heating.  Spread Earth Balance on one side of two pieces of bread.  On the non buttered side of one of the pieces of bread, spread a decent layer of vegan cream cheese and a layer of jam.  When the griddle is ready, put that piece, Earth Balance side down on the griddle (or pan), then add the Daiya shreds and the Smoky Curls, top with the other piece of bread Earth Balance side up.  Cook a couple of minutes, until the bottom is golden, then flip cooking a few minutes more til the other side is golden.  Put onto a plate and sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top.

Delicious!!  

*On a side note, I saw a new technique for flipping grilled sandwiches the other day, and it works well if you're only doing one at a time and are using a small griddle or skillet.  When it's time to flip your sandwich, just pick it up off the griddle or skillet with your spatula, while holding it on the spatula, turn your pan upside down onto the sandwich and flip both back over together.  It makes it easier to keep everything inside of the sandwich.


1 comment:

  1. Another tasty sandwich!! I love those smoky curls too. They are seriously addictive!

    ReplyDelete