Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Corn Mushrooms and a New Restaurant in CU

So there is a relatively new restaurant in Champaign called Maize on Green St.  We've been there twice since discovering it a couple of weeks ago and it is really good.  Probably my favorite thing there, aside from the wonderful guacamole and the interesting salsas they serve warm, is something I had never heard of before, Huitlacoche or corn mushrooms as the owner calls them.  I've starting referring to it as corn fungus, but that's just me trying to be funny.  :)  Here is a pic of my huaraches with corn mushrooms:


The huitlacoche is the black stuff you see in there.  I admit it doesn't look very appetizing, but it is definitely yummy.  The huaraches would normally have cheese and sour cream, but of course I requested they be left off.  The owner is really nice and has been very helpful ensuring I get what I want both times we've been there.  I don't have any pics, but the first time we went I tried a dish that came with the corn mushrooms (my favorite obviously), their traditional mushrooms, and pumpkin flower (which reminded me of zucchini flower).

I guess for those of you in the area, I should tell you Maize is very small.  It's in the old Ye Olde Doughnut Shop building and really just has 2 decent sized counter tops with stools.  They can probably seat 20 or so people at a time.  Both times we've been they have been busy, but we were able to sit down pretty quickly and enjoy our food.

If you are in the CU area, I would recommend giving Maize a try, if not you should at least check out huitlacoche or corn mushrooms if you can find them.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment